Rigatoni and Broccoli Rabe Bake
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Place the broccoli rabe on a large, rimmed baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until the broccoli rabe is roasted + crisp, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a heavy bottomed pot, cook the pancetta over medium heat, stirring until the pancetta is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook, stirring until the veggies are softened, about 5 minutes. Push the veggies off to the side of the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the center of the pan and crumble in the ground sausage. Cook without stirring for 3 minutes and then begin breaking up the meat. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and thyme. Cook another minute or so.
4. Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, milk, wine, bay leaves, and a good pinch of salt + pepper to the pot. Cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves, taste to season with salt + pepper. Remove from the heat.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the pasta until al dente, drain and toss with the tomato sauce + roasted broccoli rabe. Transfer the pasta to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with Gorgonzola and mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and gooey.
7. Remove and let sit 5 minutes. Serve.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more