Broccoli Rabe Kimchi Fried Rice
Spicy and sour kimchi is the perfect match for fried rice. It only takes a few ingredients— broccoli rabe kimchi, onion, and cooked rice— tossed together and pan-fried to create a bold combination of flavor and texture.
Recipe by Stephanie Le
Stephanie is the author of “Easy Gourmet” and I am a Food Blog, which was named “Editor’s Choice: Best Cooking Blog” and “Food Blog of the Year” by Saveur in 2014.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ½ Onion, diced
- 3–4 Cups cold cooked rice, preferably day-old
- ¾ Cup broccoli rabe kimchi, roughly chopped
- 2 Tablespoons kimchi liquid from your jar of kimchi
- ⅓ Cup sliced green onions
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2–4 Sunny side up eggs, if desired
1. In a non-stick pan or wok, heat up the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring and breaking up the rice, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped kimchi and kimchi liquid and fry, stirring occasionally, until hot and steamy.
2. Taste and season if needed. The rice should be extremely hot, steamy, and starting to crisp. Serve with sunny side up eggs (if using) and green onions. Enjoy hot!
Note: It’s a lot easier to make fried rice in a non-stick skillet or wok. It may not be traditional, but it allows you to keep your rice moving around with the benefit of not using too much oil.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more