Tortilla Pizzas with Black Bean Mash and Broccoli Rabe
South of the border style pizza. Crisp tortillas make for an excellent crust, while a black bean and salsa mash serves as the (out of the ordinary) sauce. Top it off with flavorful broccoli rabe, fresh tomatoes, and crumbled cheese…you’ll have a whole lot of crunch in every bite.
Sara is the author of two cookbooks, The Sprouted Kitchen and Bowl + Spoon. She also writes Sprouted Kitchen, which won the award for “Best Original Recipes” from Saveur in 2013.
- ½ Bunch broccoli rabe, tough ends removed
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp. cumin
- ¼ Tsp. sea salt and pepper
- 1½ Cups cooked black beans (roughly one 13.5 oz, can, drained)
- ⅔ Cup prepared salsa
- ¼–⅓ Cup vegetable broth
- 4 Fresh corn tortillas
- 1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- ¾ Cup baby tomatoes, halved
- 1 Cup feta or cotija cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Set a large bowl of ice water and a colander to the side. Remove any excessively large leaves from the broccoli rabe. Blanch the broccoli rabe for a minute or two until bright green. Shock it in the ice water to stop the cooking and then let it drain in the colander.
2. When the broccoli rabe is drained, chop well. In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the broccoli rabe, garlic, cumin and sauté for 3–4 minutes until tender. Season well with salt and pepper.
3. In another small pot over low heat, combine the black beans, salsa and ¼ cup of the broth to warm through. Use an immersion blender or potato masher to mash the beans into a refried looking texture. Add broth as needed for desired texture. It does not need to be completely smooth.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Rub the corn tortillas with the oil, sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and bake for 5-6 minutes until just crisp. Leaving the tortillas on the cookie sheet, set aside to cool to the touch but leave the oven on.
5. Like you’re making a pizza, spread the tops of the tortillas with the black bean mash and distribute the broccoli rabe, tomatoes and ¼ cup feta on top of each. Pop them back into the oven for 1–2 minutes just to warm the toppings. Leave whole, or slice with a pizza cutter and serve warm.
Get the scoop on Broccoli Rabe: recipes, health benefits, & nutrition information. Learn more